Your Visa Check Card is protected 24/7
Fraud Prevention Services monitors your card for suspicious activity utilizing your card history and known fraud patterns. If potential fraud is detected on your card, a “Fraud Prevention Services” representative will attempt to contact you to verify the authenticity of the transaction.
If fraudulent activity is suspected on your Visa Check Card:
- If potential fraud is detected on your card, a fraud analyst from Fraud Prevention Services will attempt to contact you immediately to verify the authenticity of the transaction.
- At that time, you may be asked to provide the LAST 4 DIGITS of your Social Security Number for verification purposes (never supply your full card number, PIN, entire SSN, expiration date or CVV code).
- Should the transaction be authenticated, a note will be placed on your account so that your card will not be blocked if similar transactions appear in the future and we are unable to contact you.
- If it is determined that the transaction was fraudulent, the fraud analyst will close the card and notify CharterWest Bank of any action taken. The fraud analyst will work with us to file a case with Visa.
You can help us make you more secure:
- Make sure CharterWest always has a current phone number for you. We can have multiple phone numbers in our system.
- If you will be making any kind of purchases that you normally would not, please let us know.
- If you will be going out of state or out of the country for a period of time, it is very important that you alert us to the dates that you will be gone and where you will be traveling to.
We will pass this information on to Fraud Prevention Services, so they will be aware and save you from being contacted.
To respond to a call from Fraud Prevention Services or to notify us of travel dates or unusual transactions you want authorized:
During banking hours, 800-872-5147
After banking hours, 866-842-5208
Traveling Internationally? Call Collect 701-461-2551
If your card is lost or stolen or you suspect fraudulent activity, contact us as soon as possible:
During banking hours, 800-872-5147
After banking hours, 800-264-5578
Traveling Internationally? Call Collect 701-461-0621
**Do not e-mail us to report the incident, e-mail is not a secure method of communication for your personal and confidential information.**
Tips for your Financial Safety
Guard your accounts, credit and debit cards
- Stay on top of your accounts – Keep track of your balance and account activity on a regular basis. We offer access to your accounts via Online, Mobile, and Telephone Banking and alerts via email or text message to help monitor activity.
- Monitor your credit report for unusual activity. Visit AnnualCreditReport.com or call 877-322-8228 to get a free copy of your credit report from each of the nationwide credit reporting companies. You can receive a free credit report from each reporting company once every 12 months.
- Do not carry an unsigned card.
- Do not carry your personal identification number (PIN) with your card, or give out your PIN.
- Do not let your card out of your sight when making purchases in a store or restaurant.
- Do not accept a check for more than the amount of an item you are selling, refund the difference, or wire money back to the purchaser.
- Do not place unshredded mail offers for credit cards and home loans in the trash.
- Never give out personal information over the phone to a stranger.
- Sign up for Visa purchase alerts at https://purchasealerts.visa.com/vca-web/check.
Protect the privacy of your card transaction
- Do not let anyone see you enter your password or PIN.
- Do not leave your receipt on the scene, even in the trash.
- Do not continue with your transaction if you notice something suspicious. Notify your financial institution.
Take care when online
- Do not use a password that could be easily guessed, such as your children’s names, your address or phone number. Consider changing your passwords regularly.
- Change your passwords and update your information with online retailers if you suspect theft or fraud on your account.
- Do not reply to emails or pop-up messages that ask for personal or financial information, or suggest financial gain or lottery winnings.
- Do not follow a link from an email. If you wish to check the validity of a website, type in the site name.
- Do not send personal or financial information in an email or email attachment.
Report theft or fraud ASAP
If you suspect you have been a victim, contact us and the credit reporting services:
PO Box 288
West Point, NE 68788
PO Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013
PO Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
PO Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374